Semolina or suji (sooji) Upma is a South-Indian dish. It is full of healthy vegetables, thus very nutritious. It is a very light, fat free and low caloric breakfast. It requires a maximum of 15 minutes to cook.
Semolina is made of wheat, thus full of vitamins and proteins. It also contains Carbohydrates and fiber.
Recipe for Semolina or suji (sooji) Upma with detailed step-by-step instructions:
Note: If you want you can reduce some veggies you don’t like and can also add more veggies to Semolina or Suji Upma like cabbage, potato, beans, etc.
- Vegetable oil 1½tbsp
- Ghee or Vegetable oil 1 tsp
- Semolina (Suji) 1cup
- Green Peas ¼cup
- Carrot ¼cup chopped
- Capsicum ¼cup Chopped
- Green Chili 1-chopped
- Onion 1-chopped
- Tomato 1-chopped
- Water 4-5 cups
- Black Mustard ¼tsp
- Curry leaves or sweet neem 4-5leaves
- Salt ½tsp or as per taste
- Turmeric Powder ¼tsp
- Red Chili Powder ½tsp or as per taste
- Green Coriander Leaves Chopped-for garnish
- Lemon juice 1tsp
Making of yummy Semolina or Suji Upma:
- Fry semolina (suji) in 1tsp ghee (Vegetable oil can also be used) in a wok.
- Fry it till it gets light brown color, and then take it out in a plate.
- Heat 3tsp vegetable oil in a wok.
- Add black mustard seeds, curry leaves and chopped green chili.
- When chilies are fried add chopped onion, carrot, capsicum and green peas; also add salt and turmeric powder; cove the wok and heat till all veggies are cooked (4-5 minutes).
- Salt and turmeric will help the veggies to cook fast.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, red chili powder and 4cups water, stir.
- Heat till mixture is properly boiled.
- Now add fried semolina (suji), mix and cover the wok for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1tsp lemon juice (for an extra taste)
- Garnish it with chopped green coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot only; with tomato ketchup and green Chutney.
Also fried peanuts can be added when Semolina Upma is fully prepared.